CLIENT: ANCHORAGE MUNICIPAL LIGHT & POWER
LOCATION: ANCHORAGE, ALASKA
IN‐SERVICE DATE: OCTOBER 2016
SCOPE: EPC CONTRACTOR
Quanta Services was selected by Anchorage Municipal Light & Power to perform the turnkey EPC execution of the George M Sullivan Expansion project. As part of Quanta, Phoenix Power Group managed the full EPC execution of the project including engineering, procurement, construction and commissioning. The project is a combined cycle plant located in east Anchorage. Expansion of the 1970's vintage George M. Sullivan Plant 2 utilizes GE LM6000 combustion turbine technology to produce 120 megawatts in a 2x1 combined-cycle configuration. The project was completed in 2016. Project groundbreaking was in April 2014.
The project was also designed to collect the city's main water supply through a dedicated heat exchange system that heats the water supply to downtown Anchorage. This along with other innovative thermal efficiency designs allows ML&P to achieve close to 70% efficiency, making the plant extermely energy-efficient.
The Project includes the following features:
· 120 MW, combined-cycle, natural-gas-fired power generation
· Two GE LM6000 PF Combustion Turbine Generators (aero-derivative turbines)
· Two IST Once-Thru Steam Generators
· One Siemens Steam Turbine
· Complete turnkey, 115 kV Gas Insulated Substation
· Fewer emissions compared to legacy plants